V&M Star – Steel Mill Construction Services – 2012
In early 2010, V&M Star announced it would build a pipe rolling mill next to its existing Youngstown operations. The state-of-the art facility consisted of a 23 acre under roof, seamless hot rolling mill. After installation, the building is 1,000,000 square feet, 5/8 of a mile long, 1/4 of a mile wide and 110 feet tall. The facility allows V&M the ability to more than double the mill’s work force.
The structural portion of project included the installation of 21,000 tons of structural steel, 107,990 sq. ft. of grating, and 14,427 lineal ft. of crane rails. The mechanical scope of work included the installation of the equipment for the pipe rolling mill such as the Billet Cutting & Furnace Feeding Line, the Rotary Hearth Furnace, Piercer Mill, Fine Quality Mill, Tube Transport & Reheating Furnace, Stretch Reducing Block, Cooling Bed, Cut to Length & Collecting Systems, as well as the installation of the interconnecting piping.
Construction portion of the project utilized 90% direct hire man hours.
• Structural / Mechanical packages
• Machinery for new pipe mill (cooling bed)
• Interconnecting pipe
• Water treatment plant
• Site work / logistics
Scope of Work
- 23 acres under roof, seamless hot rolling mill
- 1 million sq. ft., 5/8 mi. long, 1/4 mi. wide and 110 ft. tall after install
- Doubled the mill’s workforce
- Installed 21,000 tons of structural steel, 107,990 sq. ft. of grating and 14,427 lin. ft. of crane rails
- Installed equipment for the pipe rolling mill such as the billet cutting and furnace feeding line, the rotary hearth furnace, piercer mill, fine quality mill, tube transport and reheating furnace, stretch reducing block, cooling bed, cut-to-length and collecting systems as well as the installation of the interconnecting piping
- Utilized 90% direct hire man-hours