TransCanada – 900 MW Combined-Cycle Generating Station
Matrix NAC was awarded the construction of TransCanada’s Napanee Generating Station (NGS), a natural gas-fueled electricity generating station located in Napanee, Ontario. NGS consists of two 271 MW gas turbine/generator sets and one 457 MW steam turbine/generator set. The NGS functions as a flexible power system with the ability to start and stop daily and produce a varied output of energy to meet the needs of Ontario’s electricity demand.
The majority of the work was self-performed. At peak, the labor force was at 1,000 people. Scope included general construction, civil, electrical, mechanical, piping, structural, tanks, balance-of-plant (BOP), and high-voltage substation.
Scope of Work
- Construction, construction management, and subcontract management
- Set owner-furnished major equipment
- (2) 271 MW 501GAC gas turbine/generator sets
- 457 MW steam turbine/generator set
- 100,000 ft of pipe installed: 16,500 m field run large bore pipe, 17,500 m field run small bore pipe
- 1.7 million ft of electrical cable installed: 205,000 m power cabling, 325,000 m control cabling
- Complex foundations, including STG, GTG, and HRSG
- Site is approx. 93 acres; facility occupies approx. 25 acres